Robert L. Carroll
- Strathcona Professor of Zoology, Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology
- 398-4086 ext. 4090
- Anatomy and relationship of Paleozoic and Mesozoic amphibians and reptiles. The origin
and early radiation of amniotes and the origin and interrelationships of the modern
amphibian orders, Anura, Urodela, and Gymnophiona. Large scale patterns and processes of
vertebrate evolution. Use of Mesozoic marine reptiles as a model for investigating the
relative significance of ancestral, developmental, and physical constraints in controlling
the patterns and rates of evolution.
- Heatwole, H. and Carroll, R.L. 1999. Palaeontology: The Evolutionary History of
Amphibians. Surrey Beatty & Sons, Chipping Norton, Australia. (in press)
- Carroll, R.L., Kunst, A. and Albright, K. 1999. Vertebral development and amphibian
evolution. Evolution & Development 1: 1-13.
- Carroll, R.L., Bossy, K.A., Milner, A.C., Andrews, S.M., and Wellstead, C.F. 1998.
"Lepospondyli". Encyclopedia of Paleoherpetology, P. Wellnhofer (ed.). Dr.
Friedrich Pfeil, München.
- Carroll, R.C. 1997. Patterns and Processes of Vertebrate Evolution. Cambridge University
- Carroll, R.C. 1995. Problems of the Phylogenetic Analysis of Paleozoic Choanates. Bull.
Mus. natl. Hist. nat. Paris ser.17, Section c, no 1-4: 389-445.
- Stearn, C. and Carroll, R.C. 1989. Paleontology: The Record of Life. John Wiley and
Sons. New York.
- Carroll, R.C. 1987. Vertebrate Paleontology and Evolution. W. H. Freeman and Co. New